Tuesday 14 December 2010

Part 14 - goodbye Japan

Today is my last day in Tokyo, tonight I get on a bus and head to Kobe. These last few weeks have been an emotional rollercoaster but at the moment im feeling relatively sound. I guess there are two ways of dealing with not knowing what is ahead of you, freak out ..or don't. Its good to touch base with both of them just to know what the other feels like. Last week was probably Freak Out mode, this week im just going with it, its all you can do when your on the other side of the world from everything you know, no point fighting against the river trying to get back to the bank you jumped off…best to just see which bank you get taken to next.

Tokyo has been a challenge to me, it really is the most expensive place I have ever visited and the whole place screams consumerism and money from every angle. There are huge TV advert screens in the street and the most horrific pop music I’ve ever heard in my life.
I have spent most of my days making things from leather scraps that Manami’s cousin gave me and when im feeling like its all too much I head off into Tokyo city to Yoyogi park and sit under a tree (or in a tree) with my guitar. There are good things about being in a city with nothing to do though, for one thing it gives me a chance to really watch people as I am the only person who has time to really watch, and I’ve seen some classic moments. One favourite of mine was watching a little boy (about 9) with his huge school rucksack run along some railings with his mobile phone letting it go Clack Clack Clack one each railing as he ran past, an inventive alternative to the traditional Stick I thought and a great moment to watch. Its nice to see that some things don't change. It also means I have time to meet people. One day I was sitting in yoyogi park placing my guitar under a tree, improvising something in DADGAE and watching the crows bath themselves in the man made pond when a guy with a guitar appeared next to me. I shall call him Jazz Man as I’m useless with names and he played Jazz Guitar. He asked if it was my composition and I said yes, he then sat with me and we played together for a while until we got too cold. We then spent the next hour or so walking back and forth round the park with a hot bottle of tea from a vending machine just talking about our lives. He was taking time out of working as a salary man because of vein troubles and spent his days practicing his jazz guitar in the park (he had to take time out of Salsa Dancing though because of his sickness) He then offered to take me to see a Tokyo Sight, near by which turned out to be a large pedestrian crossing where hundreds of people crossed at the same time. I found it quite amusing actually, another great place to watch people. He then took me out to dinner and I tried cheese-motchi tempura and sweet-corn tempura. We parted ways a little lighter in our hearts for having met another bright soul on a lonely day.

As I said before the money-mind of Tokyo disturbed me a lot, it has been a great challenge for me since leaving home to realizing that I have no control over where my money goes when im traveling. In Bristol I know where the local produce can be bought, where the organic shops and cafes are and where the indipendant companies can be found. However when everything is different and even the alphabet cant be understood you begin to have to let yourself shop in seven 11 and super markets, and you find yourself becoming tempted to go into Starbucks just because your so damn cold and you need a hot drink. I think park of my homesickness came from a desire to be able to spend my money in a positive and wholesome way, a way which nurtured my heart and soul rather than making it feel sad and sick. However on the flip side of it I’ve also been given the opportunity to experience the giving nature and conscious minds of the Japanese people first hand. On Manamis birthday we went to a flee market and set up a little shop and the kindness of people spending money on my shop because they want to support what I am doing blew me away. They saw something which they believed in and didn't think twice about putting money towards that, which to me in inspiring and often I see people talking support for things but rarely putting their hands into their pockets for the cause without being asked to. But here I was not asking anybody, in fact one person I was trying to give him a gift and he insisted on playing me the equivalent of $30 for it.

The biggest lesson Tokyo has taught me is about Giving. Manami, her Obachan, her Cousin, her Mum, All her friends and strangers I have met in the street have all reminded me how important it is to be giving at every opportunity. It reminds me to give no matter how low I am in spirit, or money, keep giving smiles, hugs, money, food, anything I have to give and this can be my way of helping the world. Perhaps even others would find inspiration to give from seeing it like I have from seeing it in all those who have given to me. The Key with giving is once I have given it I do not miss what I gave, or regret it, once its gone from me its gone. However if I do not give when I have the opportunity then often I think after about how I could have given and I didn't. Manamis friend Rudy was telling a story of how a homeless guy lived on the streets hear Rudy’s house. He has a set-up of a make shift tent and stove. Often Rudy would walk past and think of how he wanted to leave a snickers bar out for the guy by his stove but he never did. Then recently he walked past and the guys tent and stuff was all burnt out, an ashen reminder of his life. Out the front someone had placed a simple Brick and on top of it A vase with a lily and a glass of Saki (this is Traditional to do on graves as a sign of respect). Remembering the snickers bar he never left Rudy went home and got one and placed it upon the makeshift grave stone. .. it made me realize if I don't give today then perhaps tomorrow there might be no one to give to.

So In Kobe I spend one night at a hostel as I could not find a couchsurfer in the area and then I board a ship to China. My excitement is building more now. Im going to meet a guy in Tienjin that came into the Canteen during my last week at work, he was a customer and told me he lived in china and if I was passing to drop by… so that's what im going to do. After that perhaps I will go and look for the Chinese Pyramids before heading south to Yunnan Prpvence and then into Laos. Of course it could all change any minute but I’ve given up worrying about if I “do it” or not… I’d rather just do what feels right and if I end up going back to the uk within a month or so then that's fine. Theres also talk of seeing a few of the Tribe out and about, A girl I met traveling in spain and Portugal 4 years ago is currently in Laos and heading to china and Claire has been thinking of coming out to meet me. Also Michael Lokko is in Koh Pangnan and Shanti is heading there too next month and I’ve got a feeling more of the family are lurking in that area, or will be over the next few months.

So to round up;
Japan is officially the bizarrest place I have ever been. The differences I have seen here in landscape, mind set and social ettiquete have been like chalk and cheese, from the laid back, back to nature hippies of Yakushima with Ancient forrest, typhoons and mountains, to the bustling heart of Tokyo’s high rise concrete worlds where shops are layered on top of each other, no one stops to say sorry when they hit you in the street and everyone is rushing, even if they don't need to be. I have, a few times, actually had to stop myself running to catch a train at platform and remind myself I have all day and nothing to do and there will be another train due in in 3 minutes time. The “rush” mindset in infectious. Then somewhere in between these two is the sub urbs and rural towns set aside lush green bamboo covered mountains which jut up out of the dead flat landscape (so reminiscent of the zen gardens of raked sand and large rocks) where one minute you can be in a seven 11 buying sushi and then next up a mountain side praying at a shrine along side spiders and praying mantis. A country where girls can wear skirts which barely cover their knickers without a blink but when I bare my shoulders I am looked at as if I must be insane. Where Salary men in smart suits and leather shoes, hair raked back and slicked into place pass women old and young in the street in their traditional kimono and tatami mat sandals. Where Fox Tails are fashion accessories and mink hides can be bought in the local craft store (no joke) and yet its normal practice to visit a shine or temple to pray to the spirits of the land for luck, good grades, wealth, and love. A land of deep set Traditions and Ancient ways juxtaposed with the most up to date of technology, even in places where one really does not need high technology (for example the toilets). However it have given to me, constantly given and been open. I’ve hitch hiked hundreds of miles across it and met only smiling faces. In my low moments the spirits of this land have looked after me, given me friends, or shown me my loneliness and let me grow with it. I have prayed at shrines and temples, hugged and climbed 3000 year old trees, met banyan trees, cinnamon trees and Camphor Trees and stroked wild deer.

Thanks Japan.

From here on in China there will be no facebook so if you want to receive blog updates send me your email address, mine is catchingapples@yahoo.co.uk or keep your eyes open to http://landandseajourney.blogspot.com

Love and light and blessing to all of you. I love you so so so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment